Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Can we do this again...??

So lately, Matt and I have been talking about adding another baby to our family. He is ready now, I am not. Why, you might ask? I am afraid. Plain, honest, and simple. I am afraid that I will not be able to handle it. Afraid that the post-partum anxiety, that I didn't even know was a real diagnosable thing, will come back with a vengeance, but this time I will have a newborn and a toddler who both need 100% of my attention. Afraid that even if it doesn't come back, the severe sleep deprivation of having a newborn will be too much for me to handle with a toddler to take care of. The golden rule of "sleep when the baby sleeps" will not work when there are two little ones in the house who are most likely on different schedules in the beginning. I have talked to MANY women, some in different countries and cultures, and they ALL say that the first 3 months are the hardest. Having been through that, I totally agree. It takes about that long to get used to the change that a kiddo brings. To not feel like a newbie with everything that comes along. To feel normal in your new normal. That being said, I know that I can and would get through the hardest first three months of having a newborn and a toddler. I also believe that with the second baby, you don't have the shock of your life as you knew it being over. That alone will be an advantage. A friend's mom told me that "once you have a baby your life is over so you might as well have more than one." :) I also know the joy/love/wonder of watching your own flesh and blood grow and change. It is thrilling, sad, wonderful, and indescribable emotionally, and it's something that I want to do again. Can I handle it? Yes, I know and believe I can. I know that God will give me the strength that I need to face whatever comes with having two little ones. Am I ready for the challenge? I don't think yet, but I will keep you posted.

4 comments:

  1. I don't think your life is over when you have a baby - I think it just begins. I think it would make things "different," and definitely more exciting!!

    I know you could handle another one.... for me personally though, I want my first one out of diapers before I have a second one. Possibly even going to Kindergarten. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, enjoy Riley on his own before you have another little one! I'm sure when the time is right you'll feel ready, even if you're not, think of it this way...you have 9 months to GET ready =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is an old post, but I thought I would comment anyways.
    My kids are 15 months apart, and I was really scared too. I thought about not being able to sleep when the baby sleeps too, but my son was still taking naps when I had my daughter, so the only challenge was trying to cooridinate their naps to cooincide.
    Also, I am SOOOO happy I had them that close together now. They are seriously BEST friends and the way they interact with eachother is so heartwarming.

    ReplyDelete