Monday, February 23, 2009

Going sugarless...

Ever since Riley was born, I have wanted to go back on a no-refined-sugar diet. This diet means that starting today I will not be eating any refined sugars. Sugars like honey and fruit are ok since they are natural, healthy, and easy for your body to digest. You would be really surprised at how much sugar is in everything! If it is in the first 3 ingredients, that means there is too much of it in the product: take a look at your normal everyday food, you will be surprised!

First of all, I will say I have done this diet before and always wonder why I go back to eating sugary foods! The first time I did this diet I lost 8 pounds in a week!!!! That being said, I did not sit around all day eating cookies and chocolate. Those things are obvious no-no's for this diet, but I really just started looking at labels and cutting the obvious and not so obvious foods. Now it is time to do this diet, or maybe way of life would be a better way of putting it, again. After baby, the weight isn't coming off as easily as it used to and/or I am holding weight in places that I previously didn't. I would like to help give myself an extra boost in the "looking as much like I did pre-baby as I can" area. A friend, Naomi, is also going sugarless and she lit the fire under my bottom (or whatever that saying is) and now my mind is made up and the time is now. This way I will hopefully be swimsuit ready by summer!!!

Won't this be hard?! Yes. Sugar is an addiction for me like it is for almost everyone else out there. There really is a withdrawal phase with this diet that is REALLY hard; but once it is over you start feeling really great and healthy!! Ask Naomi, she is over the withdrawal..hurray for Naomi!!!(http://iamasugaraddict.blogspot.com) HOWEVER.....I have been thinking long and hard about this and have decided that one sugar item that I will not be giving up is coffee creamer. I love my coffee in the morning and cannot drink it black, with honey, or with sugar substitutes of any kind (**NOTE: those are actually a lot worse for you than sugar!!!) "Sugarless" creamers often have splenda or something like that in them, so those are DEFINATELY out. This may make the withdrawal worse for me since I will be having some sugar in the AM, I don't know. It will be an experiment and I will let you know how it goes.

I have also decided that someday when I am pregnant again, if I am craving something sugary, I will break the "way-of-life-diet" and eat it. If you have been pregnant before, you know that not letting yourself have what you are craving almost literally makes you crazy. :) But, that is all down the road. For now it is no sugar (except creamer and natural stuff). I will keep you posted!

4 comments:

  1. Good for you! Maybe we can chat sometime(after my pregnancy, of course!) about this. Happy no sugar eating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about raw suger, sis? It's not refined! Plus, you could put it in your coffee. . .

    Love,
    Kaylee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job Em! I did the South Beach Diet last month to detox all the sugar from my body.... it was horrible the first 3 days, but after I got past craving sugar so bad, the rest of the diet was a piece of cake. I actually felt MUCH better and found myself NOT craving sweets anymore. I did find that sugarless pudding and jello really helped me get through. ;)

    ~ Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Good job! I proud of myself for inspiring you. However, I'm ashamed that I am probably a bad example. I didn't really go crazy eating sugar while I was on vacation, but I did fail a lot, and now I feel like I am going through the withdrawal all over again. I'm hoping it doesn't last as long this time though.
    Oh and, by the looks of your pictures, you look like a "pre-baby" girl to me! But even if you don't get super skinny, just feeling healthier is worth it, I think.

    ReplyDelete